University Honors Program students participate in a research track related to their interests and academic discipline. Each track emphasizes growth and development during the student's career at Mercer, beginning with first year courses that provide students the opportunity to work on a program of discovery as they are introduced to the community of Undergraduate Honors Scholars.
In subsequent years, students will progress through their track, culminating in an advanced research and documentation project appropriate to their individual track. In addition to these two basic requirements, University Honors Program students must complete the coursework designated within their individual tracks, maintain a portfolio of their work that contains both developmentally appropriate content and reflection, participate in a designated number of University Honors Commons experiences, and maintain a minimum GPA as defined by their specific track.
Mercer Research Scholars
Dr. John Thomas Scott, Director
Professor of History
Mercer Service Scholars
Dr. Mary Alice Morgan, Co-Director for Mercer Service Scholars
Senior Vice Provost For Service Learning
Dr. Bridget Trogden, Co-Director for Mercer Service Scholars
Director of the Quality Enhancement Plan
Mercer International Scholars
Dr. Fernando Palacios, Director
Associate Professor of Foreign Languages and Literature
Mercer Engineering Scholars
Dr. Phillip T. McCreanor, Director
Associate Professor of Environmental Engineering
Mercer Business Scholars
Dr. Steven McClung, Director
Associate Dean of the Stetson School of Business
General Requirements of the University Honors Program
- Demonstration of the student’s growth within the track through the production of appropriate annual products as defined within the track;
- Maintenance of a portfolio of work generated by the student through the track;
- Presentation of work at BEAR Day, Engineering Expo, or a regional/ national conference appropriate to the track;
- Successful completion of a Culminating Project appropriate to the track;
- Participation in two University Honors Commons Events annually and submission of a reflective essay on each event. University Honors Commons events include but are not limited to field trips, experiences in the arts, multicultural events and experiences, academic lectures and events, and social gatherings. Schedules of University Honors Commons events will be distributed to Honors students on an annual basis.
- Maintenance of a minimum GPA appropriate to the track.